Thank you Mark Montano for this great DIY!
CATALOG PARTY BALLS
I love tissue paper balls because they are magical. You unfold them and they make these light wonderful shapes and they look amazing hanging in clusters. I always wondered how they made them so one night I decided I was going to make my own and this is what I came up with after about 20 attempts!
Small catalog with about 30 pages (I like my Crate and Barrel mini catalogs)
Hot glue gun
1 yard of ribbon per ball
1. Make a 7” diameter circle pattern and cut it exactly in half.
2. Divide the half circle into 6 equal pie slices and make a notch them along the curved edge of your half circle. You will have 5 notches. This is your pattern.
3. Remove all of the cardboard and flyers from inside of the catalog. You only want the pages.
4. Placing the straight edge of the pattern on the fold of the catalog, trace the half circle and the notches on the cover of the mini catalog.
*If you want to cut out your own circles, just use magazine pages, draw the circle and then staple across the center!
5. Carefully cut the magazine into a 1/2 circle out with your craft knife. This will take a bit so be patient.
6. With your scissors, notch where you marked your notches.
7. Starting in between the 1st and 2nd page of the catalog you will put a dot of glue on every other notch like you see in the photo.
8. Turn the page and put a dot of glue on the notches that were not glued on the previous page.
9. Continue alternating glue dots on notches until you reach the end.
10. Keep the catalog closed for about 1/2 hour until your glue dries.
*To make this project go even faster, use hot glue for the dots in between the pages!
11. Unfold your catalog ball and glue the front and back cover together with hot glue.
12. Attach a ribbon in the center with a bit more hot glue and hang.
If you want a visual how to, check out the Youtube video which takes you through it step by step!